Can you imagine the shock parents could go through when they wake up to find their healthy child who was paralyzed the next morning? This is exactly what happened to this little boy Collin.
Read on to find out what exactly happened…
He couldn’t sit or walk!
Dillon and Stephanie noticed their son, Collin, couldn’t sit up and had trouble walking. Collin had fallen and hit his head the night before while playing at his brother’s baseball game, but he got up and continued playing, so they had not been too worried about it.
They were pretty sure their son didn’t have a concussion, but clearly something was wrong. They took Collin to the emergency room, where tests confirmed he did not have a brain injury. Still, Collin’s condition continued to worsen. He couldn’t move from the neck down and was having trouble eating and drinking. His parents requested that Collin is transferred to a children’s hospital in a larger town.
He could have had a sudden cardiac arrest!
Doctor’s told Dillon and Stephanie that Collin would have had a sudden cardiac arrest had he arrived 30 minutes later.
It was a tick! Yes, a tick!
A team of neurologists and infectious disease specialists examined Collin and found a tick behind his ear. Soon after the tick was removed, Collin began to regain his mobility.
According to the physician Dr. Travis Stork…
ER physician Dr. Travis Stork explains that while tick bites are common, tick paralysis is a rare reaction to the tick’s saliva. He notes the condition is not related to Lyme disease, which also is spread by ticks.
He states it was an ‘ascending paralysis’.
“This neurotoxin hangs out in their salivary glands,” Dr. Travis says, “so while the tick is feeding, that neurotoxin gets into, in this case, Collin’s blood and that leads to what we call an ascending paralysis, which initially starts with the legs and an inability to walk.”
Once the tick is removed symptoms start to improve!
“The minute the tick is removed, shortly thereafter, symptoms will start to improve,” he adds.